Everyone loves a few good writing prompts and I thought that this would be a great opportunity to give you some more to work with.
I used to run a post by play role playing sites and one of the ways we used to allow people to grow was a system where they invested and worked with the writing challenges that were a key part to our portfolio system. . The more out of the box and challenging the more our dear writers pushed themselves and their own characters into creative wonders.
As a part of this weeks podcast we have a a list of writing prompts and it’ll start small but I feel like, if you keep checking back, you’ll find that it’ll grow and evolve. It’ll be a page that I want to keep coming back to and growing.
- Start with the expression of: ‘Oh no, why?’ And writing a scene about what is happening to your character
- What does your character fear the most?
- Where the most beautiful place in your story?
- What is the best time of day and why?
- How did you pick your pets? (or your plants)
- What is a happy memory from your childhood?
- What are your character’s parents like?
- How do you deal with difficult challenges?
- Write 500 words about the weather, whatever it is. Now turn it over and forget about what you wrote and try to remember what you wrote.
- Write about a truth like it’s a lie.
- What would be the best way that you would kill off a character?
- How many books is too many? Write about your book obsession and why it’s important.
- Write about a lie like it’s a truth
- Explore what it would feel like to be in the shoes of your crush and what you would do to get yourself noticed.
- Imagine coming home from a long day at work….what is waiting for you when you get home?
- You’re going to a dinner party and there is a dress code, what is it and what are you wearing?
- Describe what your favourite tune feels like.
- You’re in a car with your character, what does the conversation sound like? Or better yet what is the soundtrack?
- Who is your person? You know, the one person who gets you in every way and you can’t live without? Describe them (hint: this can also be the most platonic of relationships.)
- Find a picture online, a landscape, a part picture, anything, and describe who you think would live in that picture and what they would be like.
- Who are the family that keeps you grounded? How do they make you feel when you’re down?
- Oh No: Use Oh No as a starter for your story and add in the following expressions: No dice, no problem, no time like the present, no news is good news, no sweat, no way.
- You look through the peephole of your front door and see a face. Play out the story. Start with: I wish I came from a small family.
- Using this phrase as a starter and fill up an entire page: When I’m in a neon pink mood…
- Disaster averted: Use these four words: Tickle, tear, rite, locket and start with: What a disaster.
- Start at the end of a tunnel and work your way backward. Use the words: light, glow, free and nearly there within your writing. Steer clear of clichés.
- Burning, crashing! The place is coming down, fire is all around you…how are you going to get out of it? Fill up a page.
- You’re a secret government agent. In the future. Your job is to make sure your mission goes off without a hitch, but their missing is to protect the one thing they swore they would never do. What is it? Describe it in detail and how you feel about it.
- Imagine you’re on a plane. Where is the plane going and what are you wearing?
- What is your character’s favourite sport and why? Describe it.
These are all my own writing prompts, I’d love to see them in action. Better yet I’d love to hear from you. Send me an email (hello(at)dreamingfullyawake.com) or hit up my social media, you can find me around the place as @mandikont
And be sure to check back, because this is one that is going to be updated pretty regularly.