Procrastination is a constant ugly thing I have to deal with every day. And even more so when I sit down to actually write. A second draft is always the hardest for me. It’s why I generally push publish on blog posts after instantly writing them because otherwise I get way too pedantic about them and will nitpick at them until the cows come home.
Because even as a writing coach, copywriter and editor, I still have that same that same niggling with my Inner Editor and while I have the tools to help get me through that there are still times where I know that I will do anything and everything to avoid writing.
But I’m only human and while I love and adore writing, I struggle the most with the second draft and that’s another post to come, but I thought you’d all love a moment to see what it’s like when I sat down to try and write a second draft (and I was on my no reading week for TAW). Have a bit of a chuckle because they actually seem insane!
Here are 25 ways I procrastinated while trying to write a second draft for a chapter of my novel, promise to laugh because I laugh at them!
- Organised my wardrobe – Basically, I shuffled clothes around from my set of drawers into my wardrobe.
- Refolded my already folded clothes – they were messy!
- Rearrange the balcony furniture – it just didn’t flow with me anymore
- Swept the balcony – it was dusty and dirty!
- Moved my plants around – They needed some sun
- Moved the living room furniture around – I wanted a change
- Listened to music
- Watched a movie
- Played a game of scare my cat (it basically involves me tapping his behind while sneaking up to him and watching him jump)
- Did Yoga
- Change my outfit
- Had a shower
- Vacuumed the apartment
- Tidied my bedside table
- Washed and folded clothes
- Moved the coffee table around
- Opened the balcony door, closed it, opened it!
- Put my cat on his lead so he doesn’t jump over the balcony
- Sat in the sun
- Looked at copy
- Ate dinner
- Had dessert
- Lit candles
- Finally found the right song
Did any of these resonate with you? What are some of the ways you procrastinate? Because I know what I’m not alone in this, leave me a comment below, I’d love to hear your ways to procrastinate.